With Lughnasdah approaching I thought I would share with you a playlist of 10 songs that are appropriate to this festival. Most of these you can find on Spotify or Youtube, which I have linked where possible. I will also link to where you can buy the songs from. In no particular order, here you are:
- Lughnasdah ~ Damh the BardLet’s start of with a song from our Pendragon, Damh the Bard. This song is a catchy song from his 2002 album Herne’s Apprentice and it follows the story Corn King in the style of John Barleycorn songs.
- Lughnasdah Dance ~ Gwydion PendderwenThis song is by one of the first Pagan musicians, Gwydion Pendderwen, who released this on his 1975 album Songs for the Old Religion. Damh the Bard features a version of this song on The Cauldron Born which is easier to buy.
- Scarborogh Fair ~ Various artistsTo be fair, I did spot this on Star Foster’s list of Lughnasdah songs and agreed. She listed the Simon and Garfunkel version of this traditional English ballad, which is arguably the most well known. However, Damh the Bard also does a cover on his latest album, Sabbat. I promise that this list isn’t just a list of Damh songs!
- Heartbeat of Harvest (Lughnasadh) ~ Cernunnos RisingThis song about the lessons learnt from the harvest. It is off Wild Soul by English singer/songwriter, Cernunnos Rising, aka George Nicholas.
- Harvest Song ~ Spiral Dance
This Australian band’s offering starts of sounding like a Christmas carol before it beats up, which I like. This comes from The Quickening.
- John Barleycorn ~ Various artists
Another British folksong, this song can be found in many places. There are 2 versions of this song that I really enjoy from the album John Barleycorn Reborn, which is a great album for this time of year. And yes, I am aware that Damh the Bard also has a version of this song.
- Lughnasadh ~ Threefold
This song is from the British new age group, Threefold. Its found on their album, The Very Best of Threefold.
- Lammas Moon ~ Touch the Earth
Touch the Earth are a tribal folk band, which is show cased in this song from their album Full Circle.
- Lammas Song ~ Inkubus Sukkubus
Inkubus Sukkubus are a gothic rock pagan band. If you are put off by them being a rock band I would still recommend this song as it leans more towards gothic pagan song than rock song. It is from their album Wild.
- Rise of the Corn ~ Carolyn Hillyer
This song has a tribal beat with beautifully sung lyrics over top. I couldn’t find where to buy this song but you can check out more of Carolyn’s work on the Seventh Wave Music site.
Let us know what your favourite songs for Lughnasadh are in the comments below!